Type of Qualification: A Level
Exam Board: AQA
Additional Entry Requirements: Grade 6-6 in GCSE Combined Science OR Grade 6 in GCSE Biology; Grade 6 in GCSE Mathematics; Grade 6 in English Language
Why study Biology?
Biology is a fantastic course for those who are curious about the natural world and studying how the body is put together. Students who take Biology often also study from a wide range of subjects, including Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, Psychology, PE, English and Geography.
- Biological Molecules
- Organisms exchange substances with their environment
- Genetic information, variation and relationships between organisms
- Energy transfers in and between organisms
- Organisms respond to changes in their internal and external environments
- Genetics, populations, evolution and ecosystems
- The control of gene expression
Paper 1: Written exam on Units 1-4 (2 hours) (35%)
Paper 2: Written exam on Units 5-8 (2 hours) (35%)
Paper 3: Written exam on Units 1-8 (2 hours) (30%)
Teacher Assessed Endorsement of Practical Skill
Careers in Biology
A wide range of careers are available such as medicine, dentistry, veterinary, physiotherapy, pharmacy, midwifery, paramedics, nursing, zoology, marine biology, sports science, teaching, forensics.