Type of Qualification: A Level
Exam Board: Edexcel
Additional Entry Requirements: Grade 6 in the chosen language
Why study Languages?
Anyone who is interested in studying languages at degree level either exclusively or as a combined degree with a subject from another discipline. The ideal candidate is one that aspires to being fluent, can study independently, enjoys studying grammar and is determined to succeed!
There are many such courses; languages can be studied with Business, Chemistry, Art, Music, History and English to name but a few.
A language at A level is highly thought of by university admissions tutors.
- Edexcel’s GCE in French/Spanish/Italian is designed to develop and assess listening, reading, writing and speaking skills.
- Four themes will be studied in Year 1: Evolving Society, Political and Artistic Culture, Immigration & Multiculturalism and Historical events.
- Students will study a Film and a Novel in Year 2.
- Translation skills from English into the Target language and vice versa will be widely assessed so a grammatical sound knowledge will be needed to succeed.
- Students gain a greater understanding of the cultures where the language is spoken.
- You will be given the opportunity to speak with a Foreign Language Assistant for 30 minutes every week.
- Paper 1: Listening, Reading & Translation into English (40%)
- Paper 2: Written response to Film & Book & Translation into Spanish (30%)
- Paper 3: Speaking Exam- Spontaneous discussion on a stimulus & Independent Research Project
Careers in Languages
Any career within the international world where speaking a foreign language would be beneficial. For example:
- Business Management
- Travel & Tourism Industry
- Translation & Interpretation
- Organisations where international links are essential