|Miss C Griffin|
Head of Department
|Miss C Forman
Teacher of Economics & Business/Interim Head of 6th Form
|Mr A Mussenden|
Subject Leader of Economics
|Miss S Griffin
Teacher of Enterprise & Business
In the Business, Enterprise and Economics Department, we aim to tailor to individuals learning needs. With a varied number of courses and styles of learning, we aim to match the student’s skills, abilities academic and professional targets to the courses they choose.
Key Stage 4 Information
We have approximately 100 students choosing to study Business at GCSE with the number growing year on year. We currently have 4 classes in both Year 10 and 11. The exam board for GCSE Business is Edexcel.
GCSE Business Studies
Students who opt to take GCSE Business have six lessons per fortnight.
Students will study the following units:
- Enterprise & Entrepreneurship – how do businesses start, how do markets change and why?
- Spotting a business opportunity- how do businesses research the market, how do they analyse their competition and how do they add value?
- Putting a business idea into practice – how do businesses manage their cashflow and breakeven, how can they gain access to sources of finance, how do they manage their business objectives?
- Making the business effective – how do businesses set up their legal structure, how do they decide how to market their products, why does a business need a business plan?
- Understanding external influences on business – how do technology, legislation, stakeholders and the economic climate affect businesses?
- Growing the business – How do businesses grow internally and externally, how international trade and globalisation affects a business, how do businesses affect the environment?
- Making marketing decisions- What strategies can businesses implement to design their product, how can they choose a pricing strategy, what promotional mediums can be used and where will they sell their product?
- Making operational decisions- what methods can businesses use to produce their products, how can they manage quality and how can they work with suppliers?
- Making financial decisions- how can businesses use financial and marketing data and calculate net and gross profit?
- Making human resource decisions- how can a business recruit and train their staff, how a business can motivate its staff?
Assessment will be via two 1 hour 30 min papers with 50% weighting each (there is no coursework element to this subject)