Our History

Today’s Salesian School is actually the product of a merger of two Salesian schools – one for boys, the other for girls – whose histories go back to the beginning of the last century.

Salesian College, a school for boys, was founded in Highfield Road in 1919. Its sister school, which became St John Bosco’s Convent Grammar School, was founded by the Salesian Sisters in 1951 when they bought the large private house at Sandgates on Guildford Road. The two schools combined in 1971 as a single comprehensive school but retained their two single-sex sites.

In 1981, the two schools recombined as a co-educational comprehensive, with the majority of students educated on the new site at Guildford Road. Since 2008, all Key Stage 3 and 4 students have been taught at Guildford Road, while the Sixth Form has grown rapidly to fill the Highfield Road site.


Alumni have provided a large collection of photographs from the 1950s onwards, showing all aspects of life at Salesian, with extra-curricular sports, classroom photos, and a number of whole-school groups. These can be accessed at https://www.flickr.com/photos/adamcreen/collections/72157625146289041/

Additions to this collection are always welcomed, and contact should be made with Adam Creen acreen@salesian.surrey.sch.uk