Department: Social Science
Type of Qualification: BTEC Level 3 Extended Certificate
Exam Board: Pearson
Additional Entry Requirements: 2 GCSEs at Grade 6 and 3 GCSEs at Grade 5, including Grade 4 in English Language and Mathematics
Why study Heath and Social Care?
Health and Social Care will suit you if you are interested in:
- The chance to build awareness and understanding of contemporary issues in health and social care
- The fact that this specification compliments other A-level studies
- Learning skills essential for higher education and the world of work.
Year 1 Units
- Topic 1 – Human lifespan development
- Topic 5 – Meeting individual care and support needs
Year 2 Units
- Topic 2 – Working in Health and Social Care
- Topic 11 – Psychological perspectives
External assessment (Examination in May 2021 for Unit 1; Jan 2022 for Unit 2)
Year 1: Written exam on topic 1 – Essay and source questions (1hr 30 mins) (25%)[Text Wrapping Break]Year 2: Written exam on topic 2 – Essay and source questions (1 hr 30 mins) (33%)
Internal assessment (Unit 5 & 11)
Year 1 Assignment: Topic 5 – set and verified by teachers (90 GLH) (25%)[Text Wrapping Break]Year 2 Assignment: Topic 11 – set and verified by teachers (60 GLH) (17%)
Careers in Health and Social Care
This specification is suitable for those considering a range of careers. 62% of large companies have recruited employees with a BTEC qualification.
37% of BTEC H&Sc students entering HE studied a nursing degree.
The following jobs are most popular: childcare, nursing, paediatrics, midwifery, social work, teaching and similar careers, police service, probation service, paramedics, health visiting, mental health, counselling.