|Objective||Measurable actions (Staff responsible for delivery) – Review date|
|To increase staff’s understanding of equality and its implications on a day-to-day basis, and in this way to reduce or remove inequalities in attainment throughout the school, particularly inequalities relating to the protected characteristics listed in the Equality Act.
|· Allocation of time in pastoral and curriculum time to consider as staff barriers to student attainment – particular consideration given to those with protected characteristics (PDE/ OBS). Review Date – June 2022
· Ensure student voice panel and student leadership groups include a range of students including those with protected characteristics to ensure there is broad student representation to help gather student feedback on equality (OHR). Review Date – June 2022
· Increased use of role models in schools from diverse backgrounds particularly with careers and PSHE speakers (CFO). Review Date – June 2022
· To monitor assessment and other data at regular intervals to ensure that children with protected characteristics are not falling behind (RNE/ OBS). Review Date – June 2022
|To reduce prejudice and increase understanding of equality through direct teaching across the curriculum.
|· Audit the KS3 and KS4 key texts read in class to increased stories that consider diverse experience (RMS). Review Date – June 2022
· Review history curriculum at KS3 to ensure range of experiences in time periods studied are included (particular focus on different ethnic groups and females to reduce focus on white/ male history) (PGR). Review Date – Sep 2022
· Ensure PSHE and RSE schemes of work include a range of examples and avoid gender stereotypes particularly when looking at family units, relationships, sexual abuse and harassment (ECK/ DLE). Review Date – Sep 2022
· To reduce the incidences of the use of homophobic language by pupils in school with increased time allocated to education around homophobia in PSHE. Trends to be analysed and shared with school leadership team and governors (PDE). Review Date – Sep 2022
|To increase the role of the student voice panel in discussions around equality, inclusion and diversity.||· Ensure student voice panel and student leadership groups include a range of students including those with protected characteristics to ensure there is broad student representation to help gather student feedback on equality (OHR). Review Date – Sep 2022
· Dedicate time in student voice meetings to consider from a student perspective prejudices that are most common in and around the school community (OHR). Review Date – Sep 2022
· Dedicate time for student voice/leadership teams to educate the wider student population on protected characteristics (OHR). Review Date – Sep 2022
|To increase the attendance of disadvantaged children to bring figures in line with attendance for non-disadvantaged children.
|· By 2022 attendance figures for disadvantages students should be in line with non-disadvantages students (OHR). Review Date – Sep 2022
· Allocate staff time to understanding on a personal level reasons for lack of attendance particularly amongst disadvantages students (OHR). Review Date – Sep 2022
· Ensure rigorous attendance policy is in place to challenge persistence absence (OHR). Review Date – Sep 2022
|To reduce the number of children with SEND receiving fixed term exclusions.||· Review SEN provision for students whose behaviour puts them at greatest risk of exclusion to be reviewed termly with LT line manager (PGR). Review Date – Sep 2022
· Increased monitoring of patterns of behaviour of students with greatest need to allow for earlier intervention (PDE). Review Date – Sep 2022
· Audit of training for TA’s and teaching staff to identify gaps in knowledge/ provision (PGR). Review Date – Sep 2022
|To narrow the gap in attainment between those students with protected characteristics||· Increase access to homework support for all groups (PFK/ SKG). Review Date – Sep 2023
· Greater planning around Year 9 Option selection to encourage EBacc route. Aim for 70% of all students to be doing the EBacc by 2023 (SKG/ OBS). Review Date – Sep 2023
· Introduce mentoring programme for students with protected characteristics particularly those from ethnic minority backgrounds to support them with applications for university courses or jobs with a view to increase aspirations beyond school (LPM). Review Date – July 2022
· Increased education amongst staff about building student resilience to help improve attainment of all students (PFK/ SBY). Review Date – July 2022
· Greater analysis of difference in progress made by girls and boys across key stages to allow for earlier intervention to reduce variation between the genders. (OBS). Review Date – Sep 2022
Equality Objectives 2021-2022
The Xavier Catholic Education Trust’s commitment to equality in everything that we do. Xavier Trust is committed to equality in both employment and education provision. We recognise the diverse nature of our locations and services, and aim to ensure that students, parents, governors, employees, contractors, partners, directors, clients and those who may potentially join the Xavier community, are treated fairly, and with dignity and respect. Salesian School’s Equality Objectives should be read in conjunction with the Xavier Catholic Education Trust’s Equality Policy which can be found on the website: Xavier Catholic Education Trust – Striving for excellence (xaviercet.org.uk).
Should you have a concern about any element of equality, inclusion or diversity (EID) across the Xavier Trust or need to report an incident please contact DIFT@xaviercet.org.uk.