It is widely recognised that homework can make an important contribution to students’ progress. At Salesian School, it is felt that work completed at home is an essential part of school work. When homework is used properly, it extends the challenge open to the students and ensures that teaching time is used to maximum effect. It also prepares students gradually for the more independent demands of study as they mature.
We set homework for the following reasons:
- It encourages students to develop the skills, confidence, and motivation needed to study effectively on their own. This is vital given the importance of lifelong learning skills and adaptability.
- It consolidates and reinforces skills and understandings developed at school.
- It extends school learning (for example, through additional reading).
- It sustains the involvement of parents in the management of students’ learning and keeps them in touch with what is happening in the classroom.
- It helps students manage particular demands, such as GCSE coursework.
Homework is for:
- independent learning
- learning by doing
- student/parent/teacher partnership
- completion of coursework assignments
- work not suited to the classroom situation
The Amount of Homework
We want to make sure that the homework set is as engaging and as useful as it possibly can be.
The intrinsic value of homework activities is far more important than the precise time devoted to them. It is felt useful, however, to give an indication of broad expectations of how much time should be spent on homework. This acts as a framework for students and staff to work within and provides a guide to parents.
Each subject in Key Stage 3 will have a recommended amount of maximum homework tasks which can be set across two weeks. The amount of homework set is proportional to the average curriculum time which the subject receives across Year 7-9
On average a student will have 3 homework tasks per evening, and it is anticipated that most homework will last approximately 30-35 minutes.
|Subject||Number of Homework across 2 weeks||Subject||Number of Homework across 2 weeks|
Show My Homework
Show My Homework is an online homework information platform. All students have been issued with student and parent login PIN, so homework can be easily accessed at home. The school homework calendar is available for anyone to view but parents will need their own PIN to access their particular child’s homework calendar. A free app can also be downloaded for Apple and Android devices.
As well as making the frequency of homework setting crystal clear, Show My Homework also allows teachers to give more detailed instructions than the planners allowed. Helpful resources (eg. lesson powerpoints, video clips) can be uploaded to your child’s homework calendar by their teachers to support their completion of homework and your understanding of it.
Every student should receive homework every week in each of their timetabled subjects. The only exceptions are subjects where there is only one timetabled period per week and in this case, homework should be set fortnightly.