Understanding Industry Placements
Industry placements give students an opportunity to develop their practical and technical skills in a role directly relevant to their vocational course. They also give employers the chance to ensure that young people are developing the skills and experience that industry needs.
To help prepare for the introduction of T Levels, we are looking for employers across all sectors to work with local training providers to offer industry placements now.
Benefits for your business of having an industry placement student include:
- developing existing staff’s mentoring and management skills
- improving recruitment for entry-level jobs
- giving opportunities to young people from a wide range of backgrounds, leading to a more diverse workforce
- extra resources for projects, bringing in new and imaginative ideas
- building partnerships with local training providers
To get involved in industry placements, email email@example.com for more information.
How long placements last
Industry placements must last for a minimum of 45 days. Industry placements will make up 20% of the course, with the student spending 80% of their time in the classroom.
It is different from an apprenticeship where you typically spend 80% on-the-job and 20% in the classroom. An industry placement is also different from work experience, which is typically much shorter and usually involves a student observing the workplace.
Employers’ responsibilities include providing:
- a safe work environment
- opportunities for the student to develop their technical skills within your industry
- a line manager to support, supervise and mentor the student
- an induction which includes explaining relevant policies and procedures
- at the end of the placement, formal feedback on the student’s progress against the agreed learning objectives
Salesian College are responsible for making sure students are ready for their industry placement. You can work with us to help identify the best student for your placement and organisation. You will also work with us to plan the industry placement to make sure it gives the student the experience they need to complete their course, and puts into practice the theory and skills they have learnt in the classroom.
Before the placement begins, we will agree a structured work plan with you that will include learning objectives specific to your industry.
Benefits of Industry Placements for You the Employer
The benefits for employers of engaging in the industry placements scheme are numerous. Employers cite the following benefits:
- Adding extra resources for the day-to-day operation of your business
- Efficient and cost-effective way to recruit new talent
- Enabling current employees to develop management skills through the supervision of a junior staff member
- Bringing in a fresh perspective, new ideas and up-to-date best practice from learners who are currently training in the industry.
Long term benefits:
- Inspiring and supporting the next generation of workers in your industry
- Accessing valuable talent who can be employed once they have finished their education
- Addressing current and future skills shortages in your industry
- Strengthening your recruiting pipeline and increasing productivity
- Reduced staff turnover through development of loyalty
- Demonstration of corporate social responsibility and a commitment to diversity
- Raising the profile of your company
- Opportunity to influence learning and skill development pathways for future employees
What do employers say…
If you think you could help provide placements within the Digital and Education sector, please contact Joanne Hawkins firstname.lastname@example.org