Skip to main content
Through our Maths curriculum, we aim to prepare confident, logical problem solvers, that leave us with the mathematical knowledge and skills to thrive when taking the next steps in their lives. We seek to cater for all and challenge students to not be afraid of number and achieve their potential. This will vary by student and may be understanding the depths of advanced calculus or understanding how to calculate capacity and profit for business they go on to set up.

Key Stages 3, 4 & 5 Curriculum

At Key Stage 3, we follow a mastery style framework so that students build confidence and depth of knowledge in order to make links between topics. They will cover topics in all areas of maths in order to develop strong foundations in number, algebra, shape and statistics. We aim for students to leave Key Stage 3 with both a love of mathematics and belief that they can achieve!

Coming soon.

Mathematics is the most popular A Level subject at Salesian College, with around 40% of the cohort choosing it each year. The course is complementary to almost any other A Level subject, and is recommended for those choosing Sciences, Social Sciences, Computer Science or Business and Economics. Mathematics can also be ideal for arts students who want to continue developing mathematical skills. A qualification in Mathematics is regarded very highly by all universities whatever course is applied for.
Two thirds of the course is Pure Mathematics, which develops logical thinking and problem solving, with the rest covering Mechanics and Statistics. Students must be confident in all GCSE algebra and shape topics, and able to do sustained work independently.

Further Mathematics is offered at both AS and A Level, and is very popular amongst Maths students, with around 15 students choosing it each year. The course is essential for anyone considering a degree with a Mathematics or Computer Science component. It is regarded very highly by all universities and usually results in a lower UCAS offer.
75% of the course is Pure Mathematics, with the remaining 25% in Mechanics or Decision Mathematics. Students must be very confident in all algebra topics, and able to work independently on the hardest questions. The emphasis is on problem solving and we offer support sessions for all university admissions tests.
If a student is doing Further Maths as one of 4 subjects, they can be entered for the AS exam in May of Year 12 if they wish.